During the day preceding the Second Battalion’s attack, November 17th 1944, elements from seventeen different Artillery Battalions were firing on Hill 232. This immense bombardment overwhelmed the men of the defending 12th Fusilier Battalion, 12th Volksgrenadier Division. The shelling served to soften up the German defences and halt any reinforcements from reaching the Hill to assist in repelling the American attack. The assault began at 1415 hours on November 18, 1944. The infantrymen of Second Battalion jumped off once word was received that Hamich was more or less secured. The Regimental Cannon Company and a number of 4.2 inch chemical mortars were assigned to the Battalion as close artillery support. Companies E and Company F advanced abreast with tank support from the 745th Tank Battalion, and Company G followed in reserve with the aim of passing through E and F Companies to secure a small ridge just beyond their objective.
In his account of the attack on Hill 232 Lt. Willian K. Sanders, an officer of the 745th Tank Battalion, recalled: “It was the sweetest example of infantry-tank cooperation that I have ever seen. A medium tank platoon of the 745th, a light tank platoon of the same battalions and a destroyer platoon from the 634th Tank Destroyer Battalion moved out from Hamich, carrying as many infantrymen as possible on their decks. They advanced up the gradual slopes of Hill 232, firing at the ridge line and likely German positions and observation posts as they moved. There was low underbrush on this part of the hill, but not enough to interfere with tank movement. About halfway up the hill the infantry dismounted and pushed ahead on foot while the tanks continued their fire at the dug in German positions and the ridge line in general. An enemy self-propelled gun kept the tanks under fire most of the time and an enemy tank in the same vicinity knocked out one of the Company A tanks. However, the infantry advanced to the crest of the hill with few losses. At this instant the German artillery opened up on the American tanks, firing high explosives and some large calibre jellied gasoline shells (these shells made intense fires wherever they struck), and to avoid tank losses and to avoid more of this fire on the infantry, the tanks moved back down the hill about two hundred yards to positions out of German observation but where they could still give direct fire support to the infantry on the ridge line. On top of the hill the Second Battalion infantrymen were separated from the Germans by a low embankment about twenty feet wide behind which the Germans were dug in. Here both sides tossed hand grenades at each other, but the tankers could see every German who showed himself to toss a grenade and often fired their 75’s [75mm gun] at single Germans, scoring direct hits a few yards in front of their own infantry.”